28 September 2011

Ergonomics

"Ergonomics can be explained as the fit between people, the things they do, the objects they use and the environments they work, travel and play in. If good fit is achieved, the stresses on people are reduced.  They are more comfortable, they can do things more quickly and easily, and they make fewer mistakes" (Humanics ErgoSystems, Inc, 2008). In our tutorial we looked at ergonomics under three sub headings, person, activity and environment we made lists of examples under each:


Person:
-          Preference
-          Age
-          Timeline
-          How it makes you feel?
-          Competence
-          Agency
-          Body deficits
-          Spirituality / connection
-          Time available
-          Skill level
-          Press (Keilhofner)


Activity:
-          Adapting the activity?
-          Adaptive equipment
-          Pacing (press)
-          Spatial organisation
-          Personal assistance (adapting the task)


Environment:
-          Physical environment (moving things, ramps, accessibility)
-          Social accessibility
-          Cultural accessibility (“how we do things in this house”)
-          Political environment

In relation to painting and drawing I was able to make my own lists and examples under the different headings. When looking at the person aspect of ergonomics I took notes on how since getting older and leaving school I have started to do less art. I looked at how painting and drawing makes me relaxed and I feel in control. It is an activity that can make me feel very competent at times but at others I can feel like I have no idea what I am doing. When looking at body deficits I am using mainly my right arm for the entire task and usually sitting on the floor. I usually do this task by myself and although I sometimes have trouble finding the time to do it once I start I am in no hurry.
When looking at ergonomics from the activity aspect I noted down things such as sometimes I choose to draw rather than paint as it is less time consuming and requires less time spent preparing and washing before and after the activity. I noted down how you can choose what you are drawing or painting and how far you want to go with it, whether it be easy or hard. You can choose things such as colour, size, what tools or brushes you’re going to use along with many other choices.
When focusing on the environment aspect of ergonomics I realized that I could do my art almost anywhere. I often do it at my house in my bedroom or lounge but if it is a good day I love to do my paintings and drawings outside in the sun. I like to have lots of space when I am painting so I usually will clear the floor for all of my things before I get started. I like to have a relaxing environment when I paint and draw so I always play my “chillen” playlist on my iPod and crank it right up to sing along to.

 References:
Humanics ErgoSystems, Inc. (2008). What is Ergonomics? Retrieved October 28, 2011, from Humanics Ergonomics: http://www.humanics-es.com/def-erg.htm

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jo, i really enjoy the honest relaxed style of writing you have used throughout your blog. It is an easy read. One tip, I think i remember being told in class to avoid the use of lists within out blogs. (not that helpful since that's all we do in class.) Instead use those headings then write paragraphs specifically to do with your painting and drawing. Check out some other student blogs for examples. I wouldn't change what you have done, but just for next time.
    other than that, good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jo, nice work on the blogs! It looks like your activity can be done anywhere (& a good excuse not to do school work!) You said doing art makes you feel relaxed, but what is your 'need' for doing the activity? Food for thought...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiaora Josephine, Good work on the blog! I really enjoyed how you expressed your true nature throughout the posting, i can just imagine you lazing out to your playlist while painting. It was great at the start how you provided us with some definitions as to what you learnt in class. a suggestion regarding how you talked about how you usually do the task by yourself, perhaps you could involve your flatmates who are around you-possibly taking on the challenge to sketch one of them-im sure someone would be up for a 'life drawing' ;-)... It would be cool if you could scan on some of your artwork to. Great work : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the comments and the helpful hints :) i shall get onto these for my next one.

    CHEERS

    ReplyDelete